I am regularly asked about my favorite restaurants on Maui. In the past few years much has changed in the Maui restaurant scene between the Covid shutdown, some restaurants closing for good and staffing shortages. Definitely make reservations! Some take reservations on Open Table, others require you to phone.
Cara’s favorite breakfast places
- Beach Street – Former the S&Q Shave Ice stand
- Maui Bread Co – we like to walk to this bakery – go early, it’s small and they sell out. Currently closed Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Kihei Caffe This place is hugely popular for their big portions. Honestly, I wouldn’t stand in those crazy lines (mainly in full sun) for breakfast. But if there is no line, I’d go! Note: they also have a Lahaina location for those staying on the West side!
Cara’s favorite restaurants
- Gannons – my absolute favorite, the view and ambiance is amazing. They currently have a very limited lunch and happy hour menu. (Currently closed Sundays and Mondays)
- Maui Brewing Company – for lunch and dinner. Fun ambiance, live music some evenings. Hugely popular. They also offer tours of their award-winning facility
- Nalus – I dream of their ahi club sandwich. It is just so good.
- Cafe o Lei on South Kihei Road – one of the most reasonable lunch menus
- Ami Ami (at the Maui Coast Hotel) for breakfast/dinner. They also serve food poolside – no, non-hotel guests may not use the pool, but they often have live music and it’s an easy casual atmosphere with younger kids
- Eskimo Candy – they have the best poke bowl on island (disclaimer, that is all I eat here)
- Pint & Cork at the Shops at Wailea
- Fabianis – only open afternoons and for dinner. I love their Lorenzo pizza.
- Koiso Sushi Bar – tiny sushi bar with very limited seating in Kihei’s Dolphin Plaza. Amazing traditional style sushi. You will need to make reservations weeks in advance.
- Sansei Sushi – Sunday/Monday half off sushi ordered between 4:45-5:30pm. They also have a West-side location
- while not a restaurant, Island Market @ Shops at Wailea has a very nice take-out/deli section for picnics
non Kihei special mentions
- Tin Roof – take out only. Pre-order and pay on their website for quick pick-up. The mochiko chicken is amazing
- Cafe o Lei at the Mill House (this is at the Maui Tropical Plantation, former Mill House restaurant site). Incredible ambiance, and…. they have a historic train in their bar.
best grocery stores
- Safeway – use your Safeway card, or the one in the condo. If you can’t find it, use my phone number for the Safeway deals 808-281-7934
- Hawaiian Moons – natural/organic grocery store with a take-out section
- Foodland – best poke selection, hands-down
Cara’s favorite restaurants – these are the ones that really count
I’ve mentioned I love dessert and treats, right?
- Ululani’s – hands down best shave ice on island
- Maui Gelato – have you tried their local flavors like lilikoi (passion fruit) or mango
- Fabianis – love their desert display case. The lilikoi meringue is a definite favorite
- Hula Cookies – they make icecream sandwiches with your choice of their cookies and Roselani icecream. So good.
- Komodas – home made malasadas, donuts etc. Arrive early (like between 7-8am) for best selection, or pre-order for later pick-up.