updated July 2023
I am regularly asked about my favorite restaurants on Maui. In the past few years much has changed in the Maui restaurant scene between the Covid shutdown, some restaurants closing for good and staffing shortages. Definitely make reservations! Some take reservations on Open Table, others require you to phone.
Cara’s favorite breakfast places
- Beach Street – Former the S&Q Shave Ice stand
- Maui Bread Co – we like to walk to this bakery – go early, it’s small and they sell out. Currently closed Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Kihei Caffe This place is hugely popular for their big portions. Honestly, I wouldn’t stand in those crazy lines (mainly in full sun) for breakfast. But if there is no line, I’d go! Note: they also have a Lahaina location for those staying on the West side! Also, late January 2023 they took over the former Ami-Ami location at the Maui Coast Hotel. Let me know if you check it out!
Cara’s favorite restaurants
- Gather in Maui (formerly Gannons) – my absolute favorite restaurant location, the view and ambiance is amazing. Note their happy hour menu. (Currently closed Sundays and Mondays)
- Maui Brewing Company – for lunch and dinner. Fun ambiance, live music some evenings. Hugely popular. They also offer tours of their award-winning facility
- Nalus – I dream of their ahi club sandwich. It is just so good.
- Cafe o Lei on South Kihei Road – one of the most reasonable lunch menus
- Pint & Cork at the Shops at Wailea
- Fabianis – only open afternoons and for dinner. I love their Lorenzo pizza.
- Pita Paradise – located in the Wailea Gateway mall, they serve fresh local fish with a Greek twist
- Koiso Sushi Bar – tiny sushi bar with very limited seating in Kihei’s Dolphin Plaza. Amazing traditional style sushi. You will need to make reservations weeks in advance.
- Sansei Sushi – Sunday/Monday half off sushi ordered between 4:45-5:30pm. They also have a West-side location
- while not a restaurant, Island Market @ Shops at Wailea has a very nice take-out/deli section for picnics
Sadly both Eskimo Candy and Ami-Ami closed in January 2023.
non Kihei special mentions
- Tin Roof – take out only. Pre-order and pay on their website for quick pick-up. The mochiko chicken is amazing
- Cafe o Lei at the Tropical Plantation (former Mill House restaurant site). Incredible ambiance, and…. they have a historic steam train engine in their bar. You have to go.
best grocery stores
- Safeway – use your Safeway card, or the one in the condo. If you can’t find it, use my phone number for the Safeway deals 808-281-7934. They have $5 Friday deals.
- Hawaiian Moons – natural/organic grocery store with a take-out section. Make sure you grab the Pueo card (school fundraiser coupon card) from the condo for a 10% discount. Please return it for the next guest.
- Foodland – best poke selection, hands-down. Here too, sign up for a Foodland card/use the one in the condo, or use my phone number for the deals
Cara’s favorite restaurants – these are the ones that really count
I’ve mentioned I love dessert and treats, right?
- Ululani’s – hands down best shave ice on island
- Maui Gelato – have you tried their local flavors like lilikoi (passion fruit) or mango?
- Fabianis – love their desert display case. The lilikoi meringue is a definite favorite
- Hula Cookies – they make icecream sandwiches with your choice of their cookies and Roselani icecream. So good.
- Sugar Beach Bake Shop – I may have mentioned a time or two just how much I love sweets. At last check they have malasadas until 9am
- Komodas – home made malasadas, donuts etc. Arrive early (like between 7-8am) for best selection, or pre-order for later pick-up.